Chrissy's river of action

My Blog is an outlet for my thoughts and feelings that would otherwise remain unexpressed.

Sunday, October 28, 2007

seitan man, seitan

I am becoming so proud of myself. I have started actually cooking for myself again. I guess I shouldn’t let someone else decide what goes into the food I eat. I should be able to decide that. I have been cooking exclusively vegetarian dishes. I was introduced to seitan by someone very dear to me, and now I can’t get enough. Seitan is a universal meat like product that is completely made of plants. It doesn’t take flavoring very easily, so I am trying different types of marinades. The other night I made mustard crusted seitan with sautéed zucchini/carrots/mushrooms and sweet potato fries. I fried the battered seitan pieces in a skillet with palm oil, but the batter came off in some places. I think I have another idea how to do the batter better.

Cause mama’s gonna make us cake!

Tonight I made a nice lentil stew. I was in the mood for something Indian-like and I need some probiotics, I cooked with a bit of yoghurt. I was a bit unsure of how much to put in, but it worked out very yummy. The stuff I put in was carrots, potato, green beans, red lentils, Padilla lentils, and brown mushrooms. For the seasoning I used a half and onion, ginger chunks, minced garlic, six cloves, thyme, cumin, olive oil, and miso paste. I let it simmer for an hour and a half until all the veggies were cooked firm. I made jasmine rice with a bit of olive oil and turmeric to give it a yellow color. I also threw in some yoghurt this time which has opened my eyes to that unique taste that some Indian dishes have. It was a very nice combination, but the stew will need more seasoning next time. I have enough left over to eat two more times, and I’m sure the spices will be better the next time I eat it. I had a nice rheinhessen dry red wine with it. I finished with a coffee and grappa. I feel nice.

I have been thinking about whether I could be able to simulate French meat pie with seitan or tofu. I know the spices and the cooking sequence, but I will need to get creative with the first step. I have mimi’s meat grinder, so no worries about the hardware. The meat depended on a bit of fat, but I don’t know how to substitute it. Olive oil maybe? The pie crust I can make with veggie shortening.

I want to try making orange ginger seitan soon. Like orange ginger duck without the foul. I can buy several different forms of seitan, but I think I might want to learn how to make my own. I imagine it would be better if the spices were mixed in with it when it is made.

I haven’t eaten a frozen pizza since a couple of months now. Just about the only time I eat meat anymore is at lunch in the cafeteria at work. The cornflake chicken breast, sauerbraten, roast pork, and sometimes even duck. The food there is really fattening, so I try not to overdo it.

I was invited to see Susanne Vega in concert last Monday night in Amsterdam by a very sweet reptilian. I had never seen her in concert before, but I realized that I knew most of her songs from the radio enough to sing along. She gave a very nice performance. The crocomel really liked I could tell. Her delight was very nice to be a part of.

I drink lots of herbal tea and my coffee in small but potent little cups. I love my bialettis. I scored 4 nice red wine glasses at real,- yesterday for 9 euro. They have an updated version of the old green stamps from the 70s that you can use to get the glassware. I think the next thing will be a wine decanter.

Buying shoes has sort of a comforting effect on me. Maybe its instinctual, that I have warm and durable boots for winter. I broke down and ordered two pairs of black lace up boots from fluevog in the states. I miss having a pair of vogs. I can’t wait until they arrive. Now I just have to make some clothes to wear them with. That will be soon.

I managed to file all my paperwork today that apparently I haven’t organized since May. I washed all the laundry too. I want to do the dishes and then maybe vacuum also. I think washing my body will have to wait for tomorrow.

I have tested my dirtiness limits in the recent past. I went three days without a shower. I did brush the teeth and wash the face daily, and baby wipes help with certain places. It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be, but my skin did dry out pretty bad. That week I went seven days without washing my hair. I can take it, but my scalp can’t. I need to wash with tar soap every three days, but I usually go four or five days. I have gotten so lazy when it comes to my hair. It’s getting quite long again and I just don’t feel like dealing.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home